What makes VCAL different to mainstream schools?

VCAL is more hands on and tailored to your specific needs. We listen to what motivates you to learn and what goals you need to achieve to get the best out of life and work.

Where are the campuses located?

All levels of VCAL are offered at our Mount Evelyn and Yarra Junction campuses.

What do I have to do to pass VCAL?

In order to pass the Foundation, Intermediate or Senior VCAL, you will need to complete up to 1000 hours of training. There are many ways to put together a VCAL program – each VCAL unit (7 in total) is worth 100 hours; the other 300 hours could come from Vocational Education and Training (VET), VCE, or CGEA units. To complete the Senior VCAL Certificate, students are required to undertake 300 hours of a VET Certificate (generally at a Certificate II or III level).

What happens if I don’t pass all my VCAL units in the year?

The great thing about VCAL is the flexibility. You don’t have to pass all your VCAL units in the same year. You can take as long as you need to finish your VCAL and your results will build up until you have gained the required number of credits and strands appropriate to your VCAL level.

Is there any Recognition for Prior Learning and Credit Transfer?

Learning outcomes from VCAL and VET units may be satisfied owing to your skills, knowledge and experience gained through life experience and from other places – like in part time work or volunteering. RPL can only be applied to the VCAL units WRS and PDS, and requires evidence from the previous or current year. Credit Transfers are where previously completed units are added to your current record (if the unit code is exactly the same).

VCE, VET and VCAL Units previously undertaken at a Secondary School are recorded on the VCAA Central database and will be automatically calculated and added to your current record, making it easier to achieve your VCAL Certificate.

Contact us to discuss your situation and see whether RPL or Credit Transfers can be applied.

What ages to you cater for?

Cire Community School caters for year 7 to 12 as of semester 1 2017.

Year 7 (Yarra Junction campus only)
Year 8 (Yarra Junction campus only)
Year 9 (Yarra Junction campus only)
Year 10 VCAL Foundation (Yarra Junction and Mt Evelyn campus)
Year 11 VCAL Intermediate (Yarra Junction and Mt Evelyn campus)
Year 12 VCAL Senior (Yarra Junction and Mt Evelyn campus)

Can I go to TAFE after VCAL?

Absolutely, VCAL is a great pathway to TAFE. The VCAL will give you practical work-related experience and a qualification that will be recognised by TAFE institutes.

Can I go to university if I do VCAL?

Students planning to go straight into University usually undertake VCE programs which allow them to gain an ATAR score. It is possible that some Universities will consider students with a Senior VCAL Certificate for admission, although this is dependent on each University’s entry requirements.

Entry to University from Senior VCAL may be achieved via other pathways such as entry after completing a Diploma at TAFE.

How do I apply?

There are no formal entry requirements for VCAL. Students can enter at the level of VCAL to suit their learning needs, abilities and interests. If you want to learn in a local, supportive, youth friendly environment please contact Cire Community School on 1300 835 235 (Yarra Junction campus) or 03 9736 1457 (Mount Evelyn campus). You will be invited to attend an interview to discuss your situation, determine the most suitable VCAL level and begin the enrolment process.

What payment methods do you accept?

Cire Services Inc no longer accepts cash payments. For your convenience we have following methods available:

Credit or debit card payment (MasterCard and VISA) via phone, internet banking or in person.

Direct deposit (all transaction require a reference description to ensure your payment is identified e.g. invoice number or student name).

Centrepay – this service is a free direct bill paying service available to customers who receive an Australian Government Department of Human Services Centrelink payment, Family Assistance payment or Parental Leave pay. This payment option is setup at the enrolment stage, with one of our enrolment officers providing assistance as required.

Account Name – Cire Services Incorporated
Bank – National Australia Bank (NAB)
BSB – 083-739
Account Number – 03-785-5491

Our friendly staff will assist you at any of the Cire sites.  All transactions are conducted in a secure manner and credit card details are not kept on file.

Should you have difficulty in this process please contact Nicola Davies on 5967 1776 with queries.

What can VCAL lead to?

Students can work their way through the levels of VCAL to obtain their senior secondary qualification or can be supported to return to mainstream schooling at any stage of the program. Students may also choose to undertake a traineeship, apprenticeship, work or further education and training such as TAFE or selected University courses. Cire Community School VCAL teachers support each student to identify a pathway that suits them.

Didn’t find the answer to your question?